Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Generic Junkie

Joel and I have been spending the last six months really working on our budget. We are really getting tighter around it now that #2 is on their way. I have started couponing. Even more than I was. I also work hard to still be frugal about couponing. Even though its a good deal, I don't need 15 of something. It will be a good deal again in a month or two when I run out of it. That's my philosophy on couponing. Granted if its free and I know its something that is never free, I take it. One time Target was having a sale on beefaroni (don't gag, its my easy go to lunch) and they also had an online coupon for it that made it free. I stocked up!

One of the other ways that I have been tightening up is by buying generic on things that I don't have coupons for or are not on sale for the week. For example, I stopped buying Cascade dishwashing soap. I buy Target brand. And honestly, even though this is where Joel works, I think it works better. I have tried other generic brands and they don't work. Of course, there is one thing I can't go generic because of my skin but that laundry detergent. So when its on sale and I have coupons I stock up! But bread is bread. And paying 60 cents for a loaf and putting the extra loaf in the freezer is awesome. Another thing that generic is the way to go... milk, cheese, diapers, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, tissues. Unless its a super awesome deal, I go generic. Most store brands have the extra soft two ply toilet paper for about $3-4 less! I also, because of a husband in retail, see what would be cheaper with employee and Target Check Card discounts than the deal at another store. Sometimes the deal is the same but I save on tax because of the employee discount. And that makes a difference.

The other way that I save on our budget is, we don't have any meat once a week. We have pasta w/ veggies instead of meat, soup, grilled cheese, casserole of some kind, or something else. Meat is pricey and cutting it out for one day week helps. I also use half the meat the recipe calls for on any meal with meat. Plus, we read an article that Americans eat too much meat so its healthier too. We also have a left over day. No cooking, just eating whatever we have in the house for the day. Its cleans out the fridge and we spend no money that day on any food for meals.

Our goal is to cut out $60 from our grocery budget for the month. We are slowly getting there but I think we will be able to get there once my morning sickness is gone and I can eat more things too. But we have had to cut back on certain foods because just cooking them makes me sick. And some of those foods are the cheaper meals. Bummer.

I know a lot of people that are super couponers. And I know I have a long way to go but I have made a point to only put so much time into it a week and I also factor in all the driving I do to all the different stores. All of these are huge factors. We have a gas budget and if I don't have the gas to get to all the stores for the week, then we don't shop there. We never go without but if I miss out on the .33 fruit snacks for the week, then Nathan and Joel will just have to snack on something else in the house!

I am proud of all my friends who have taught me so much and the great example they are being to others about how to save $$$ and not go without during these crazy economic times! WAY TO GO!

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you and your great shopping skills. I can attest that we always have good food to eat in the house. We never "go without," we just "go different." I'm never bored with the food we have, because it's always a little different than the previous week!

    ReplyDelete